Re: Very large folder

2021-06-06 02:53:04
Hi Norm,

On Sat, 05 Jun 2021 22:58:38 +0100 Ralph Corderoy
<ralph(_at_)inputplus(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> sez:

Given those 1,702 messages are precious, you may want to pick them
and refile them to a dedicated folder.  You could use ‘refile -link
+newfolder ...’ to keep them in +gone and just create hard links to the
new folder's version, or without the -link to have them move from +gone.

Note that the default for refile(1mh) is -nolink, which rmm(1mh)s
the message from the source folder (+gone).  It does not rm(1)
it.  The result is that you will still have 2 files with hard
links to the same inode, but the old +gone message file will be
renamed.  If you want to have just 1 (hard) link to those
contents, you'll also need to explicitly specify refile(1mh)'s
-unlink option (because -nounlink is the default).

Also, check your ~/.mh_profile file to see whether you've
specified "refile" options (particularly ones that might conflict
with your expectations).

Yes, this is based on the confusion I was going through a couple
years back that the list (and Ralph) helped me figure out.  B-)
I'm hoping you can avoid that.  B-)

                                Bob