perl-i18n

Re: UTF-8 support on Windows and Linux

2002-04-28 22:48:49
I am using perl5.6.1 both on Windows 2000 and Mandrake Linux 8.1.
On Windows the UTF-8 strings are handled in a reasonable manner, that is
length() returns the number of characters and /./ matches a single
character. On Linux though, length seems to return the byte length of the
string, and /./ fails to match characters over 127. This happens even if I
use a UTF-8 locale.

 Do you have 'use utf8;' in your script? After adding this I have not any
problems on Linux (SuSE Linux 7.3).

--
 best regards
  Ing. Roman Vasicek

 software developer
 PetaMem s.r.o., Drahobejlova 27/1019, 190 00 Praha 9 - Liben, Czech republic
 http://www.petamem.com/