perl-i18n

time-duration formats like "XXm XXs"

2002-04-19 13:06:07
I'm internationalizing Apache::MP3, and have come up against one problem, almost the last one left: At one point, the module figures out the duration of things, and stores them as like "12m 15s" for 12 minutes 15 seconds. Clearly that's good only for languages where "m" is the first letter of the word for "minutes" and "s" is the first letter of the word for "seconds".

So I'm curious: in your experience, is there a decent way to write this that is acceptable for all languages? Looking at CDs from outside the US that I have, I see different formats for a duration of 12 minutes 15 seconds:
    12:15  (by far the most common)
    12'15
    12'15"
    12.15

Is 12:15 acceptable to everyone as a good way to write a duration of 12minutes 15 seconds in your respective native languages? I suppose that it's ambiguous and could mean "12 hours 15 minutes", but in the context of CD tracks (which is most of what Apache::MP3 is used for), it's fairly clear from context that it doesn't mean that. (I suppose ":12:15" doesn't have this problem, but it looks very odd.)

It so happens that it'd take some code reshuffling to have this one bit be localized for each language, so I'm hoping that I can avoid that by picking one format (presumably 12:15) that's at least acceptable for most languages.
Does anyone not like 12:15?
--
Sean M. Burke    http://www.spinn.net/~sburke/