perl-i18n

Unicode with Win32::OBDC

2002-05-03 02:31:41
Hi All,

Strange things happen to me.

I have some data in UTF-8 in an MsAccess database and I am using the
Win32::ODBC and GGI modules to search through them and display the result on
a webpage. The problem is that even though the original data are in UTF-8, I
seem to get them in Latin1. This is a problem, because the rest of the
webpage uses UTF-8. So whichever encoding you choose in the browser, some of
the characters are displayed incorrectly.

I tried to use Text::Iconv to convert what I get from the database back into
UTF-8 (works fine), but it seems a suboptimal solution given that the
original data are already in UTF-8.

I wonder if anyone has come accross similar problems, and maybe knows if
there is any way to influence the encoding that the data comes from an ODBC
source.

Best,

Gregor Chrupala