perl-i18n

Re: new util method proposition for Maketext

2002-09-09 15:07:11
At 15:30 2002-09-05 +0200, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
[...] The goal is to be able to have correct output for such phrases: "voulez-vous créer un nouveau X", where X is a noun of unknown gender and first letter. [...]

I want to give this some very careful thought, as it involves a part of language that's very important, but where it's notoriously hard to find patterns that are intuitive AND applicable across languages AND don't overcomplicate the the simple common cases for the sake of handling rarer messier cases.

I'm very slow in managing to think about these things, because I'm too used to the methodologies in formalist (as opposed to functionalist) linguistics, where everyone wants every theory to work for every part of every language -- but clearly what's called for with the Maketext approach is a good mix of intuitive interfaces/notations and of "80/20" solutions. (And that's to say nothing of the modern formalist fear of notations that are "too powerful"!)

Just now, I'm terribly busy with a grand rewrite of the basic Pod parser/formatter classes, but I'm hoping that in a week or two I'll have something clever to say about your suggestions.

--
Sean M. Burke    http://www.spinn.net/~sburke/