perl-i18n

Re: localizing Pod

2003-02-15 04:12:20
On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 03:34:29AM -0900, Sean M. Burke wrote:
I want to make sure I understand what's being suggested here.  I've been a
distracted lately, so I'm merrily doublechecking.

I've also been distracted lately, hence the late reply.

Your understanding of the first proposal is perfectly correct.

(What do people think about my adding a rule that if you have a =for
encoding, it has to be the first Pod directive in a file?  And the
corollary that you can't have two =for encoding's in a file.)

I think it'll cover 99% of the cases, so I'm fine with that.

2) Get perldoc (Pod::Perldoc) to add a language "infix" to the filenames it
searches for pod under.  So assume that currently, when I do "perldoc
Foo::Bar", it looks across @INC (etc) for:
EACH-INC-DIR/Foo/Bar.pod
<...>
Autrijus's suggestion, as I understand it, is simply to be able to say to
perldoc "hey, I like fr" (via a switch and/or env var), and have its search
be for:
EACH-INC-DIR/Foo/Bar_fr.pod
<...>
Right?

Correct.

(Well, leaving aside the question of Bar_fr.pod versus Bar-fr.pod versus
Bar.fr.pod -- later on, we'll pick one way and stick with it.)

I'm inclining toward Perldoc.fr.pod.  If the OS doesn't support multiple
periods in the filename, it probably can't handle perlfunc_zh-tw.pod
either.

I'm tempted to say that this second suggestion seems fine to me as long as
this does NOT turn into a mess where anyone expects his "I like'fr" to
match the Foo/Bar-fr-ca.pm, or "fr-ca" to match the Foo/Bar-fr.pm.

I think it's reasonable for "I like en" to match en-us, but not vice versa.
(Technically, I'd like to glob for DOCNAME.LANG*.pod. (And yes, I've read the
Language Detection arguments, but I'm biased this way because most
people can't process 'zh' when they request 'zh-tw', but most people can
process zh-tw *and* zh-cn if they request 'zh'. (This has to do with the
fact that Big5 is a subset of GBK (and also GB18030.))))

I'm also tempted to say that these language tags must must must be
lowercase, always, under penalty of agonizing death.

Much agreed.

And also that it if you provide a Bar-fr.pm, you must mention it in Bar.pm,
so that no-one can say "But how was I supposed to know that file was there?
Read the MANIFEST?!"

Change 'must' to 'really really should' and I'm fine.  It is possible (altough
not likely) that there's no Bar.pm at all.

Does this sound reasonable?

Yup.

Did I understand everything right?

Yes.

And: suggestion 1 and suggestion 2 are totally independent ideas, right?

Aye.

Thanks,
/Autrijus/