perl-i18n

Re: Is there an i18n framework available for perl?

2003-04-02 11:10:15
On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 09:47:43PM +0000, Rich wrote:
AFAIK we have stuff such as Locale::MakeText, Math::Currency,
Number::Format, various collation modules, the up and coming DateTime etc
which all have some i18n support, but nothing "binding them together" - a
framework based along the lines of, say, java locale and resource bundles
would be quite nice, even if it had some limitations.

I am not quite sure of what you mean by 'binding them together'.
You may find that http://aut.dyndns.org/webl10n/ (both the slides
and the paper) to be helpful; it defines a L10n framework based on
Locale::Maketext::Lexicon and discusses some of the use cases.

I do believe that the function call-style syntax allowed by Maketext
(and Maketext-Lexicon) can already encapsuate all your needs about
currency, number, datetime etc, by writing language-specific wrapper
functions.  I'm not sure whether it's good or not, if we have a standard
set of such language wrappers...

Thanks,
/Autrijus/