perl-i18n

New Locale::Maketext version

2003-06-22 08:33:15
OK, I took the suggestion (from several directions, including Autrijus, Jouke, and the voices in my head) and made a new version of Locale::Maketext that is basically the same as the previous version, except that it has a "use utf8" in it, so that your lexicon data's utf8iness won't get stomped on. The trick was in not making it /require/ utf8.pm -- so this should still work under old Perls (5.004/5.005). Altho one of the t/ files, t/90utf8.t, will fail under pre-utf8 Perls.

Short story: I'd appreciate if folks could try this new version and let me know if you have any trouble with it.

Long story: I took out the regexpy code from Locale::Maketext (which is the only thing that seems to need the "use utf8" stuff) and put it in a separate little file, and made another module that tries loading the first one, and if that fails, then reads it in, comments out the "use utf8" line, and evals that.
The whole horror story lives in:
http://search.cpan.org/src/SBURKE/Locale-Maketext-1.06/lib/Locale/Maketext/Guts.pm
http://search.cpan.org/src/SBURKE/Locale-Maketext-1.06/lib/Locale/Maketext/GutsLoader.pm
--