perl-i18n

Re: Stripping out Unicode combining characters (diacritics)

2008-05-06 05:57:56
I've been doing it like Mike R suggested for quite some while.
But some characters do not map nicely into this scheme.

So you may want to manually take care of stuff like german eszet, ligature oe
etc, etc.

s/\x{00df}/ss/g;
s/\x{0152}/Oe/g;
s/\x{0153}/oe/g;
...to be continued...

Leif
======================================
Leif Andersson, Systems Librarian
Stockholm University Library
SE-106 91 Stockholm
SWEDEN
Phone : +46 8 162769
Mobile: +46 70 6904281

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: Doran, Michael D [mailto:doran(_at_)uta(_dot_)edu]
Skickat: den 6 maj 2008 04:13
Till: Mike Rylander
Kopia: perl-i18n(_at_)perl(_dot_)org; Perl4lib
Ämne: RE: Stripping out Unicode combining characters (diacritics)

Hi Mike,

I appreciate the quick reply.  I am familiar with the Unicode::Normalize module
(and will also be using that), but I left it out of this question because it's
not relevant to the problem I'm currently trying to solve.  The text I'm trying
to strip diacritics out of does not have precomposed accented characters.

-- Michael

# Michael Doran, Systems Librarian
# University of Texas at Arlington
# 817-272-5326 office