perl-unicode

Re: Unicode and security (was Re: Topaz 0.0001)

1998-09-10 13:44:15
larry(_at_)wall(_dot_)org (Larry Wall) writes:

Gisle Aas writes:
: larry(_at_)wall(_dot_)org (Larry Wall) writes:
:
: > The really interesting question is what to do with the line separator
: > and paragraph separator characters.  I think we're about to get a
: > cultural split between programs that stick with newlines (however
: > they're defined) and programs that use the Unicode delimiters.  There
: > is the potential for much animated debate here.
:
: The Unicode line and paragraph separator will each be 3 bytes long
: when UTF8 encoded.  That might affect their popularity.

Yes, that's a factor.  I strongly suspect that most of the people
who stick with utf8 will also stick with newline 95% of the time.
But if the other culture ever takes off, it will also need some amount
of support.  (Where "some" varies from 0 to 100%. :-)

On <http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/techreports.html>:

IN PROGRESS:

    Unicode Technical Report #13 "Newline Policy"

--
Gisle Aas