perl-unicode

Re: Warnings on illegal UTF8

1998-10-11 09:32:08
On 11 Oct 1998 11:19:54 -0400, Chaim Frenkel
<chaimf(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> said:

chaim> Are the SV's marked as containing UTF8?

man utf8:

       In any event, you'll need to keep track of whether
       interfaces to other modules expect UTF-8 data or something
       else.  The utf8 pragma does not magically mark strings for
       you in order to remember their encoding, nor will any
       automatic coercion happen (other than that eventually
       planned for I/O).  If you want such automatic coercion,
       you can build yourself a set of pretty object-oriented
       modules.  Expect it to run considerably slower than than
       this low-level support.

chaim>                                         If not, perhaps such a marker
chaim> would be useful, then when the string is first loaded it could be
chaim> examined for validity and marked. With the other functions trusting
chaim> the bit setting.

chaim> Then the user could be given various control levels. When and how the
chaim> bit is set. Whether or not to trust the bit setting. And of course,
chaim> someway to set the bit.

Sure, but we need the fast way too. Maybe there is a fast solution
already?

--
andreas