perl-unicode

Re: do{use utf8; ...}

1998-10-13 15:20:23
Gurusamy Sarathy writes:
: >The first thing I tried was actually:
: >
: >   map { use utf8; chr($_); } ...
: >
: >but I was told: "use" not allowed in expression at...
: >What would it take to make that one legal?
:
: Doubling the curlies should make it work.

Still, I'd think that the curlies in map {} (along with grep {}) should
default to being true blocks, and then optimize to non-blocks if
nothing "blockish" is found inside.  Though this particular bug may
just be a matter of bad expectations.  The curlies scope right for my
variables, anyway.

Larry