perl-unicode

Re: Locale::Date

1999-01-11 14:39:38

Andreas J. Koenig writes:
jhi> The main point is NOT the encoding: if I could, I would avoid the
jhi> issue completely.

That's what I believe: you could avoid the issue completely by
restricting yourself to UTF8. Because Unicode is about supporting them
all at once.

jhi>                    But I cannot.

You don't explain, why.

How about getting the initial data much more easier?  Now when I start
to look for non-Western-European data I will find it in encodings X,
Y, and Z, and I can almost bet a small sum that none of those won't be
Unicode.

jhi>                                   I am just keeping the data structure
jhi> open enough to allow for multiple different encodings.  For the
jhi> moment, because it's easier and more useful both for me and for users,
jhi> I encode in Latin-X.  Later, when Unicode has conquered the world,
jhi> it's no problem to add UTF-8 encoding.

It's not a matter if Unicode will conquer the world. It's the matter,
that Unicode solves a problem that you plan to treat with a
complicated data structure that appears superfluous to me. If you can

This is complicated?

my %weekday =
    (

     'af' =>
     {
      'ISO 8859-1' =>
      [
       'Sondag',
       'Maandag',
       'Dinsdag',
       'Woensdag',
       'Donderdag',
       'Vrydag',
       'Saterdag',
      ],
     },

etc.

Without the encoding tag:

my %weekday =
    (

     'af' =>
     {
       'Sondag',
       'Maandag',
       'Dinsdag',
       'Woensdag',
       'Donderdag',
       'Vrydag',
       'Saterdag',
     },

explain, why this is necessary or just more efficient, I'm all ears.

Andreas, you are wearing me out: soon I'll give in to your UTF-8 preaching :-)

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen