perl-unicode

../lib/unicode/ Unicode 3.0 Extensions for Ethiopic

1999-02-23 14:33:44

Greetings All,

  As I have just joined this group over the weekend I am not familiar with
how the submission process works.  I would like to offer however extensions I
have made to the perl5.005_55/lib/unicode/ files for the Ethiopic writing
system which is now a part of the Unicode 3.0 standard:

  ftp://ftp.cs.indiana.edu/pub/perl-unicode/perl-unicode.tar.gz

The README.Ethiopic file gives the details.

The utf8 support feels like a new lease on life.  I love it!  Is there any
intention to extend it beyond regex sequences?  I would like also to use
non-ASCII terms for string, array, and subroutine names.

I still struggle to work with regexes on syllabic writing systems in a
"natural" way though "\p" has opened new doors.  I have composed a
description of the problem I am facing with Perl in a brief paper prepared
for this group.  The initial draft is:

  "Developing Amharic Regular Expressions in Perl"

  ftp://ftp.cs.indiana.edu/pub/perl-unicode/regex992.ps.gz

I would appreciate any input into this work.

Daniel Yacob