perl-unicode

Re: Unicode aware module

1999-04-21 08:07:48
Why would this action at a distance _not_ break code.

        parent turns on utf8
        child attempts to process a binary string.

<chaim>

"DH" == Dick Hardt <DickH(_at_)ActiveState(_dot_)com> writes:

DH> At 04:33 PM 4/6/99 , Larry Wall wrote:
Gisle Aas writes:
: Can I write a unicode aware function that behaves differently
: depending on whether utf8 is in scope for its caller?

At the moment, you'd have to call it with a different entry point.

: If not, any plans to support this?

I'd been thinking of it from the other direction, where you could
specify that the module you're using should be compiled with an
assumed "use utf8".  That would be easy enough to arrange, but
what do you do if you want it compiled both ways?  This is starting
to smell a little like templates.  On the other hand, I don't like
having to put conditionals all over the place.  On the gripping hand,
a lot of the time you might not care whether it's utf8 or not.

I suspect we actually want to support utf8 toggling in the usee by
either the user or the usee, but so far we have neither.  Patches
welcome!  :-)

--
Chaim Frenkel                                        Nonlinear Knowledge, Inc.
chaimf(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com