perl-unicode

Re: C<use utf8> dynamic scope?

1999-06-02 10:07:48
"AJK" == Andreas J Koenig <andreas(_dot_)koenig(_at_)anima(_dot_)de>
writes:

On Tue, 1 Jun 1999 20:49:29 -0400, Chip Salzenberg
<chip(_at_)perlsupport(_dot_)com> said:
According to Andreas J. Koenig:

However:  *Yes*, UTF-8 is independent of Unicode.

AJK> So there we are. For those who want to have Unicode support but whose
AJK> character sets are discriminated by UTF8, an alternative might make
AJK> sense. I'm not asking for it, I just wanted to point out that there is
AJK> a point in considering other encodings too.

My current impression of the utf8 support
is that utf8 == Unicode. (Look at the \p{} support thrown in by
use utf8.)

This should be split out.

        use Unicode;    # Get the unicode attributes
        use utf8;       # Character encoding format

Then perhaps the far eastern folks can have their cake and eat it.

<chaim>
--
Chaim Frenkel                                        Nonlinear Knowledge, Inc.
chaimf(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com