perl-unicode

specifying character types

1999-06-30 10:28:57
I'm looking for info on a good way to specify character types in Perl beyond
what is supported via the locale mechanism in place today. I'd like to use
"symbolic" representations like \s, etc., but there aren't any that mean things
like "Han characters" or "full-pitch digits" etc. I think that using hard-coded
character code ranges is a bad thing over the longer run because it ties my
Perl code to very specific implementations of character storage.

In the short run I can create a module with strings of hex sequences that mean
"full-pitch digits" etc. in various encodings. Is there a better way?

Is anyone designing a long term solution? Is adding new escapes to Perl a good
thing? Or is there something else in the works?

Sorry if I missed something obvious, I'm a newbie to Perl.
---
=Ed Batutis
Independent i18n Software Consultant