perl-unicode

Re: utf8 and XS

2000-03-17 12:31:36
<PVHP(_at_)forte(_dot_)com> writes:
As someone who may need to interpose at least an ASCII|utf8 <-> IBM-1047 filter
into perl at some time I would like to hear about what will go into the design
of these simple converters and would like to recieve email on this topic.
Unfortunately it is crunch time here at work and it is unlikely that I will
be able to code any freeware for at least a few weeks.

Generalizations of what I need to do could help folks who need to consider
EBCDIC codepages other than IBM-1047 (there are at least three major EBCDIC
code pages that have been perl platforms at one time or another).  I think the
ICU group has spotted some inadequacy in an IANA registry of character code
set identifiers.

Any URLs for such registries and other standards welcome.
I am aware that I am ignorant of many of the issues and jargon.
My own tiny private wish is to be able to code an app with graphics,
characters for english, IPA (and perhaps welsh).

So far my browsing of what I get from Tcl/Tk does not fill be with
enthusiasm for its rigor or applicability to my problem space - it seems
(understanably) to be a pgramatic and somewhat ad. hoc. approach to
handling japanese and to a lesser extent eastern europe issues.

--
Nick Ing-Simmons