perl-unicode

splitting devanagari characters

2000-04-04 06:34:54
Dear subscribers,

I wrote a report in Japanese concerned with the management of Devanagari
(one of the Indic scripts) characters on Perl 5.6.

http://www.ya.sakura.ne.jp/~moro/resources/indic_on_perl5.6/index.html

For example, using utf8, splitting a Devanagari word 'vij~naana' into
character semantics results in 'va + (i) + ja + (viraama) + ~na + (aa) +
na'.

It seems to me that Perl divides a combined character into the base
character and the combining character(s), and doesn't regard a combined
character as one character.

Any comments will be appreciated for me.

Regards,

Shigeki Moro
moro(_at_)ya(_dot_)sakura(_dot_)ne(_dot_)jp
http://www.ya.sakura.ne.jp/~moro/