perl-unicode

UTF8 matches in a non-UTF8 string

2000-06-28 01:55:13

There might be a bug here, but I think it's a matter of philosophy.
Could I have people's intuitive reactions, please:

Given

     $a = v196.172.200

which is a non-UTF8 string,
and

     $b = v300

which is a UTF8 string which just so happens to look like v196.172
in a byte representation, should

? Should it require "use bytes" to match? Or "use utf8"?
Personally, I don't think it should match at all - but it currently
does.

Simon
it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any
intended recipient is prohibited.   If you received this in error, please