perl-unicode

Re: Encode, take three

2000-09-12 13:52:27

    Jarkko> So only US-ASCII (0..127) would be the lowest common denominator?
    Jarkko> Even Latin 1 should be converted as chars_to_bytes($oompah,
    Jarkko> 'latin1')?

Yep, that's my opinion.  Even if 'latin1' becomes a special case internally
that does not require any extra work.  Then the user doesn't have to memorize
the fact that Latin1 is the default.

It also avoids complaints like, "... once again we are forced to assume this
foreign character set is used by everyone!"  (an actual complaint I received
more than once).
Mark Leisher
Computing Research Lab            Cinema, radio, television, magazines are a
New Mexico State University       school of inattention: people look without
Box 30001, Dept. 3CRL             seeing, listen without hearing.
Las Cruces, NM  88003                            -- Robert Bresson