perl-unicode

Re: Encode, take five

2000-09-13 18:24:45

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000 19:49:32   Matt Sergeant wrote:
On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Philip Newton wrote:

Until someone extends the Unicode character set beyond the current range,
UCS-2 and UTF-16 currently have a one to one mapping. I assume thats the
point being made. An excerpt from the book I'm currently tech reviewing:
 Since no software
 currently supports or produces surrogate pairs, and since no scripts
 are encoded in Unicode with code points above 65,535 the
 distinction between UCS-2 and UTF-16 is mostly academic at this
 point in time.

The Unicode Consortium has approved about 43,000 characters in the surrogate
area. They are awaiting ISO approval. I don't know of any implementations, but
in any case this information is out of date.

See:

http://www.unicode.org/unicode/alloc/Pipeline.html

=Ed

Before you buy.