perl-unicode

Re: Encode's .enc files and a question

2000-10-26 13:57:01
Mark Leisher <mleisher(_at_)crl(_dot_)nmsu(_dot_)edu> writes:
   Peter> Mark Leisher then replied:

   >> If the converted string contains 0xFFFF, it will be pretty clear the
   >> source text had bogus characters the moment you display it.

   Peter> According to Nick's translated doc the first character on the third
   Peter> line of the .enc file is the one to be displayed if the Encode
   Peter> module cannot figure out what to do with a given character.

According to the docs, the third number is used when converting from Unicode
(UTF-8) back to this encoding, not when converting from this encoding into
Unicode.

Presumably that is because "by definition" Unicode can represent anything ;-)

There are some inconsistencies in the doc file that I'll change later and post
for comments.

Please do.

--
Nick Ing-Simmons