perl-unicode

Re: UTF8 2 Latin1

2000-12-12 17:03:22
On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Benjamin Franz wrote:

Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 11:03:36 -0800 (PST)
From: Benjamin Franz <snowhare(_at_)nihongo(_dot_)org>
To: David Zochowski <david(_dot_)zochowski(_at_)memiq(_dot_)com>
Cc: "'perl-unicode(_at_)perl(_dot_)org'" <perl-unicode(_at_)perl(_dot_)org>
Subject: Re: UTF8 2 Latin1

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, David Zochowski wrote:

Hallo!

I do not know how to convert utf8 to latin1. I have Convert::Scalar tried,
but it does not work for the 2bites chars (german chars).
Could you help me? Do you know any other way to do it?

Look on CPAN for the module 'Unicode::MapUTF8'. Note: This will not fix
the problem if you are trying to convert characters from UTF8 that do not
exist in Latin1 (ISO-8859-1).

Markus Kuhn's 'transtab' is useful for this.  I've got a very simple perl
module which provides access to it if anyone wants a copy.  I'd welcome
some feedback.  email me if you want it.

Andrew McNaughton

--
Andrew McNaughton
Te Kete Ipurangi: The Online Learning Centre

PO Box 19-098
Wellington, NZ
http://www.tki.org.nz/