perl-unicode

Re: perl-unicode-cgi problem

2001-09-24 01:17:27

On Sun, 23 Sep 2001 12:40:26 +0330
"Abdolreza Pirshayan" <pirshayan(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
hello,
I'm using perl 5.6 on a Red Hat Linux 6.2 and have the following problem
with using utf-8 encoding:

in my cgi program the "length()" function does not work correctly with utf-8
if the input string is the parameter passed (by get method for instance)
from an html form(in this case "length()" will return the number of bytes
instead the length of the string) else it works correctly.

please tell me what should I do to solve this problem?

You can convert a string into one with the UTF8 flag.

    $str = pack 'U*', unpack 'U0U*', $str;

If you have some interest in Perl 5.7 (or later),
try the utf8::decode() function.

There are some other ways to flag a string as UTF8,
but one needs an XS code;
one doesn't work on later versions....

Regards, SADAHIRO Tomoyuki