perl-unicode

Re: Encode::EUC_JP (as is) breaks static linking

2002-01-30 14:40:39
Nicholas,

On 2002.01.31, at 05:23, Nicholas Clark wrote:
I've not been closely following the Encode stuff, except to notice that Dan Kogai is putting a lot of work into making Japanese work more smoothly than
it was. (Thanks). (Building on the work Nick I-S did. Thanks Nick)

Hence I'm not quite sure if I've got the cause of this problem correct, but it appears that Encode and Encode::EUC_JP both define Encode_XS_Encoding:

Yes. That particular part is hard-coded in the compile script. It should be easy to mend this problem by making compile a little bit smarter. But.... Static linking all CJK modules is definitely a nightmare considering the sizes they take. To keep the static perl small we have to externally keep the conversion tables (Like Encode::Tcl). Hmm....

Dan