perl-unicode

Re: Perl 5.8 release schedule?

2002-02-05 11:51:14
On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 06:35:09PM +0000, Markus Kuhn wrote:
I know, it's a annoying question, but I'm extremely curious to hear the
latest rumours about when Perl 5.8 might be released, with all the long
awaited more complete UTF-8 support features. Any ideas?

*whimper* *not in the face*

The plan in to have 5.7.3 out by the end of Feb, and then quickly
start rolling out release candidates, so that 5.8 comes out "by the
end of the spring".  (Hopefully I don't have to move to the southern
hemisphere to keep this schedule...)

(I just started a new project where the UTF-8 limitations of 5.6 became
quickly an obstackle, is there really no way to declare file input
string to be in UTF-8?)

In 5.6?  No.

If you want to look at the developer snapshots of the upcoming 5.8,
peek at the tarballs at ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/perl/snap/,
unpack, cd perl, sh Configure -des -Dusedevel, et cetera.  The
pod/perluniintro.pod tells you about the current Unicode model and
features.

Markus

$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen