perl-unicode

Re: Encode-0.40.tar.gz

2002-02-16 09:27:09
On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 01:22:29AM +0900, Dan Kogai wrote:
jhi,

   2 minutes to respond.  You are just unbelievable!

On 2002.02.17, at 01:08, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
   jhk, I think this is as much as I can go for this weekend.  Flu is
getting worse....

Okay, thanks!  (Are you happy with this in 5.7.3?)

   Well, for 5.7.3, yes.  But for 5.8.0,  I think we still have a lot
todo.  Let me list'em up before my body temperature hits 39 degrees
centigrade...

* rename 'compile' to something else more appropriate so we can install
in $INSTALLSCRIPT
* stress testing on (CN|TW|KR)
* TRUE ISO-2022 handling

And features missing compared to Jcode.pm

* Encoding detection

This reminds me: we shoul probably have some user-accessible method of
detection of the Unicode encodings, too: UTF-8 (well, this is really
guessing, at least without a BOM, "does this look like valid UTF-8 to
you"), but BOMs and UTF-16-foo, and UTF-32-foo.

* MIME header encoding

And the obvious

* decent documentation (especially JP|CN|KR|TW)
* distribution scheme of coding tables (enc? ucm? precompiled?)

But I think we should release 5.7.3 soon so more people test'em....

Soon.

Dan the Man with Too Many Encodings to Handle

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen