perl-unicode

Re: 5.8 roadmap and Encode

2002-03-04 14:46:58
On 2002.03.05, at 05:28, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
Yup, the extra Encode::XX were needed for static builds.

  I wonder how many folks need static perl these days....

Note that the CN.a JP.a KR.a TW.a bring in extra 5.5 MB, which is
quite a bit extra, the whole Perl being here (x86 linux) only 6 MB...

I agree. Extra 5.5 Meg for single file is definitely too much (not a big deal for shared perl, however).

Maybe a Configure flag for "no CJK" (-Uusecjk?) would be nice?  Note
that I have no problem in having these libraries in there for the
dynamic builds, and having by them default in there for the static
builds, but if some silly Westerner needs no CJK support, 5.5 MB extra
is quite hefty.  No disrespect meant, I'm just worried about the size.
(Note that I won't change any of this for 5.7.3, too close...)

Though too late for 5.7.3, I am actually trying to find the way to 'externalize' encoding tables without sacrificing the speed of Encode::XX. I just wonder how portable it would be (surprisingly, including the table in C source is very portable because you don't have to worry about file format and such). I'm not sure if it will make it to 5.8.0 (I wish I had a time to field test these, including on CGI/mod_perl modules on busy web servers. Jcode has passed this stage in time). This is definitely on ToDo list.

Dan the Man with Bloated Modules