perl-unicode

Encode-0.94 uploaded

2002-03-20 13:29:09
Encode Hackers,

  I have just uploaded Encode-0.94 as

http://www.dan.co.jp/~dankogai/Encode-0.94.tar.gz

  as well as CPAN.  Here are changes.

0.94  Thu Mar 21 2002
+ lib/Encode/Description.pod
! lib/Encode/Encoding.pm
  Now the pod in Encode.pm is abridged as programming references.
  lib/Encode/Description.pod contains the original, detailed description
  and Encode::Encoding explains how to write your own module to
  add new encodings.  So far, lib/Encode/Description.pod contains
  the whole pod once in Encode.pm.  This is intentional.
! Encode.pm
  Pod revisions by Anton Tagunov
! lib/Encode/Tcl.pm
  all occrance of Encode::Tcl::Extended removed including pod
! t/CJKalias.t
  test now checks $encoding->name only; $encoding->{name} are
  no longer check to find the canonical name.
! lib/Encode/JP/JIS.pm
! lib/Encode/JP/ISO_2022_JP.pm
  ->name() added to be more compliant with API
! CN/CN.pm
! JP/JP.pm
! KR/KR.pm
! TW/TW.pm
! t/CJKalias.t
  Patch by Autrijus to add aliases to TW and fixes to POD
! AUTHORS
  SADAHIRO Tomoyuki added as should.  My apologies.

Not even 24 hours have passed but since pod structure has changed I decided to upload sooner. Now gigantic pod once resided in Encode.pm is relocated to lib/Encode/Description.pod. Encode.pm's own pod is an abbreviated version focusing on programming references. Encode::Encoding now explains how to write your own encoding modules. Note the documents themselves haven't changed much. I intentionally did so to get more feedbacks on pod. To see how obsolete the pod is compared to the current status of the functionalities, let me quote some;

       *.xs
           In theory this allows encodings to be stand-alone
           loadable Perl extensions.  The process has not yet
           been tested. The plan is to use this approach for
           large East Asian encodings.

We now now that this is no longer in theory but in practice. And Anton has raised a very good question on terminology and chanonical names. I find a simple revision of the pod is hardly enough to get it straight so I decided to rewrite the parts in question entirely....

  Feedbacks welcome, especially from Korean-speaking people :)

Dan the Yet Another Perl Encode Hacker