perl-unicode

Re: roman8 -> hp-roman8 ?

2002-03-26 10:37:11
Hello, Dan!

DK> Encode hackers,

DK>    I blindly generated roman8.ucm out of roman8.enc, not knowing what it
DK> is.  I am now convinced this is hp-roman8 but I am not 100% sure yet.

DK> http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets
Name: hp-roman8                                  [HP-PCL5,RFC1345,KXS2]
MIBenum: 2004
Source: LaserJet IIP Printer User's Manual,
        HP part no 33471-90901, Hewlet-Packard, June 1989.
Alias: roman8
Alias: r8
Alias: csHPRoman8

# TODO: Cyrillic encoding ISO-IR-111 (useful?)
I guess it is completely useless. At least as a native speaker
have never heard of this!

DK>    It seems they are just a matter of tables but is there good source of
DK> such on web?

Yes :-) Have just found it yesterday by accident, it is

ftp://dkuug.dk/cultreg/registrations/chreg.htm

just follow the roman8 link there

You shouldn't need that but the first column in that doc
seems to refer to one of the files in
ftp://dkuug.dk/cultreg/registrations/repertoiremap
directory

I have also studied the server via my ftp client
starting from
ftp://dkuug.dk/cultreg

Plenty of useful info, I wish I found something like this for CJK!

And yes,

Nick Ing-Simmons> IIRC RFC1345 has its own slightly weird _definitions_
Nick Ing-Simmons> of the characters.

this memo really tabulates a lot of charsets

- Anton