perl-unicode

Re: Is it true that there are no longer no official mappings from JIS X to Unicode?

2002-03-27 07:00:47
On Wednesday, March 27, 2002, at 08:06 , Anton Tagunov wrote:
Hello, Dan!

BTW, is the guy speaking

http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/unicode-symbols.html.en

right or not? His article is dated september..
He is speaking about lack of official tables, that the tables
have been withdrawn and made obsolete but without any replacement.
Is that true?

Correct.

http://www.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/EASTASIA/Readme.txt
The entire former contents of this directory are obsolete and have been
moved to the OBSOLETE directory.  The latest information may be found
in the Unihan.txt file in the latest Unicode Character Database.
August 1, 2001.

But the Unihan database only contains JIS X 0208 and 0212, not JIS X 0201 because 0201 only maps ASCII and Halfwidth Katakana.

I did also ask if the issue Kubota-san has raise has ever been worked on this at unicode(_at_)unicode(_dot_)org but I got no definitive answer.

Dan the Encode Maintainer