perl-unicode

Re[2]: let's cook it!

2002-03-27 11:07:46
Hello Jungshik!

JS>   MS should have registered CP949/950 as Windows-949/950
JS> instead of labeling them misleadingly as ks_c_5601-1987 and big5, In case
JS> of gb2312, gbk should be registered and used. I don't know about big5,
JS> but in Korean case, apparently they tried to pretend that they follow
JS> Korean Nat'l std. while they extended it in a proprietary way.

I used to think that the trouble is as the following:

ks_c_5601-1987 is a coded character set, maybe an implied
 raw 2 bytes per char, 7-bit Character Encoding Scheme
without any control characters and without the space
as defined by RFC1345, while

EUC-KR is a Character Encoding Scheme built upon
ks_c_5601-1987 that encodes ks_c_5601-1987 chars as
pairs of 0xA1-0xFE octets and uses 0x21-0xFE for ASCII

then the trouble is not that they extended ks_c_5601-1987
but that they have used a Coded Character Set name as
as an alias to a CES built on top of that CCS. Isn't it?

- Anton