perl-unicode

Re: README.jp, README.tw, README.cn, README.kr

2002-04-14 09:59:57
At 08:09 2002-04-14 -0400, jshin(_at_)mailaps(_dot_)org wrote:
BTW, I'm sorry to make things more complicated when we seem to have enough headache with perldoc's handling of 8bit characters.

I was thinking today about the situation where someone is Korean (for example), and they try doing "perldoc README.kr" (or whatever it ends up getting called), and they can't see the content, for any of a dozen reasons.

I was a bit bothered by that possibillity, until I recalled that if they could always just look at the README.kr file in their browser, and have it appear as a plaintext file in a selectable encoding. Since, in my experience, if people only one program at all that can render their language, it's their browser.

--
Sean M. Burke    http://www.spinn.net/~sburke/