perl-unicode

Re: 2 Suprises w/5.8.0

2002-07-31 21:30:04
Only this combination got 'split' in myFunction to chop up utf-8
text properly.  Is this behavior expected?

Without seeing more detail, yes.  Raw embedded UTF-8 has to
be marked as UTF-8 somehow, and "use utf8" is the primary way.

Another issue I've encountered was with using Unicode::String
under Perl 5.8 -should we no longer be using this package?

Probably not.

The UTF-8 chars the package generates are not recognized
as such, 'length()' for instance reports incorrectly.  Can
we somehow bless strings as UTF-8?  This would be useful

Please read perluniintro.  "Blessing" strings to UTF-8
should not be done lightly.

for working with older packages.

Pre-5.8 way of Unicode (or, even worse, pre-5.6 way of Unicode) simply
is not compatible, and trying to bridge the gap is probably worse than
its worth.

thanks,

/Daniel

--