perl-unicode

Re: Problem displaying UTF8 characters in HTML generated by a Per l script

2003-01-23 14:30:13
FYI: Netscape 7 is way better than Netscape 6.x - in many respects.

Glad I could be of help.

-mm

--------------------------
http://sun.com/globalization/

Tay, William wrote:
Thanks for the hint, Mike, that leads me to try displaying it on Netscape
6.2. And it works!! I had previously tried on IE5.5. As advised, IE6 should
be offering better service. Thanks to all who replied my mail.
Will

-----Original Message-----
From: michael monaghan [mailto:michael(_dot_)monaghan(_at_)sun(_dot_)com]
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 3:47 PM
To: Tay, William
Cc: 'perl-unicode(_at_)perl(_dot_)org'
Subject: Re: Problem displaying UTF8 characters in HTML generated by a
Perl script

Tay,
I'm not sure about your code, but you can quickly check if it's a font problem by going to http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/utf8.html .

This page, encoded in utf-8, displays many languages (including Russian). If the Russian renders correctly, then it's not a font issue.........

BTW: In my experience, a recent OS with a recent browser - NS7/IE6 generally takes care of font display issues.

-mm

-----------------------------
http://sun.com/globalization/

Tay, William wrote:

Hi,

I am developing a Web application using Perl and a database. The Perl script is responsible for getting data from the database and then generate a HTML page. The data to be retrieved is encoded in UTF8. Here's part of my script:

print( start_html( { -head=>meta({-http_equiv=>'Content-Type',

-content=>'text/html; charset=utf-8'}), ...

# Get data from DB
print( "<select name = \"Games\">\n" );
while ( @row = $statementHandle->fetchrow_array() ) {
  print( "<option>" );
  print( "$row[ 2 ]. $row[ 1 ], $row[ 0 ]" );
$test="$row[ 2 ]. $row[ 1 ], $row[ 0 ]";
  print( "</option>" );
}
print( "</select>\n" );
print( h2($test) );

$test contains some Russian characters encoded in UTF8. On display, it showed up as thick bars in the list box. However, print( h2($test) ) shows the correct Russian characters. I am wondering if it is a font problem. But if it is, why should the latter be displayed correctly?

Would appreciate your comments and help.

Will