perl-unicode

Understanding Unicode support in Perl

2003-01-24 13:30:07
Hi,

Please comment on my finding below and see if I have understood Unicode
support in Perl correctly.

Internally, Perl represent character strings in UTF8. The PerlIO layer for
input and output enables other encodings to be used for STDIN, STDOUT,
STDERR and filehandling operations. For instance, if ru_RU.KOI8-R is
specified (use open ':encoding(ru_RU.KOI8-R)';) as the encoding for data
coming from STDIN, it will be converted (by PerlIO ?) into UTF8 for internal
representation, and from UTF8 to ru_RU.KOI8-R for STDOUT.

Questions:
1. Before UTF8 is used as the internal character encoding (before 5.6 ?),
what default encoding is used to represent data internally?
2. What are the measures taken for backward compatibility?

Thanks.

Will