perl-unicode

Need some help in understanding Unicode in Perl...

2003-02-19 13:30:06
Hi,

I have some questions regarding unicode in Perl:

1. I am pretty new to this Unicode thing. Is there
anywhere I can understand what does utf16, utf8, ...
mean and their support in Perl?

2. I am currently writing a mail filter to extract
message body from the email. However, even though the
email charset has been defined as (eg) gb2312, it
still contain standard ASCII characters. Is there a
way where I can sort of convert the entire string into
unicode? Is there a module (library) that can
automatically recognize the individual characters in
the string and convert them accordingly?

3. What does &#NNNN and =HH=HH means? Someone told me
they are actually unicode but I dont really
understand. Is there any function that can
automatically convert them to the corresponding
charset or hex value?

Anyone can help me with this? Any links of site that
can help me better in understand unicode support would
be great. If there are sites that contain plenty of
examples will be even better... Thanks...

Regards,