perl-unicode

UTF8 flag unsets in inheritted methods

2003-03-14 15:30:05
Greetings,

I've run into another issue with utf-8 support that I thought should
be reported here.  Apologies if the issue has already been reported.
I've found that the utf8 flag gets turned off for a string when it
is returned from an inherited method.

That is; for an object of class A::B, where B is derived from A, strings
returned by methods in the base class A will be broken, while strings
returned from methods in B are fine.  The strings are fine for objects
that are simply of class A only.

I did sprinkle "use utf8;"s around but it didn't help.  To get the
utf8 strings from class A methods to return properly, I had to manually
set the flag with "Encode::_utf8_on($foo);".  The Perl in question is
version 5.8 running under redhat linux 8.0.

thanks,

/Daniel