perl-unicode

Re: Unicode and XS

2003-03-23 11:30:05
Brian De Pradine <pradine(_at_)uk(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com> writes:
Hello,

I am writing a module using XS that will need to run on a number of
different platforms, including mainframe. The problem that I have is
that Perl on EBCDIC platforms uses UTF-EBCDIC internally, instead of
UTF-8. This means that functions such as SvPVutf8(), if I understand the
documentation correctly, will produce UTF-EBCDIC on EBCDIC platforms. Is
there anyway that I can convert this output back to UTF-8?

I _think_ the short answer is "no". This always bothered me when I was
doing the UTF-EBCDIC stuff. The snag being that perl's 'utf8' encoding
uses core's SvUTF8 scheme - which is just fine if it _IS_ UTF-8
What we need for Encode::* to have its _own_ UTF-8 and UTF-EBCDIC
encode/decode independant of what core is using...

Thanks
Brian
--
Nick Ing-Simmons