perl-unicode

encode_utf8,from_to don't work?

2003-04-06 08:30:09
I have a script that should read a file ,parse it and then
insert some data from it to the database (I am using DBI).
While debuging i am printing the data to my terminal .
The files are cp862 encoded and i am trying to get the utf8
encoding for it.
the scrit looks something like this:
while(<FILE>){
$_=encode_utf8($_);
print ;
}
Apperently i can't see nothing on my screen - that probably means
that the encoding is not doen (the terminal can't show cp862)
the same happens with from_to function.
what could be wrong?
I am using perl 5.8.0 under RH.
P.S. Using Text::Iconv module seems to work perlfect !
--
Tsirkin Evgeny <tsurkin(_at_)mail(_dot_)jct(_dot_)ac(_dot_)il>