perl-unicode

Re: Very general question about Unicode processing

2003-04-19 08:30:04
On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 11:42:28 at 11:42:28AM +0100, Jean-Michel Hiver
(jhiver(_at_)mkdoc(_dot_)com) wrote:
But surely, it's not a unicode problem, is it?

I agree that the fact that files don't have standard metadata headers is
a terrible thing (like emails do), but what just can you do? I don't
think what you're describing is a unicode problem, it's more of an OS
issue.

I asked on this list because I was sure that its members could give a
complete answer (as it indeed happened). I never thought that the one
I mention is a Unicode or Perl problem: perl in Unicode environment is
just what made *me* realize of it existence.

I also thought immediately "this should be in the file itself, not in
who processes it", but wanted a confirmation. Your complaint on the
lack of "standard metadata headers" in plain text files, and the other
answers coming at more or less similar conclusions, confirm that I
understood the actual nature of the actual problem.

I have no solution to suggest, nor, probably, the skills to implement
it, but it's comforting to know at least that I was looking in the
right direction.

        Thanks for all your explanations,

                Marco Fioretti
--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

Non � il concetto di intelligenza extraterrestre a essere difficile da
afferrare. E' il concetto opposto che incontra resistenze. I. Asimov.