perl-unicode

Re: Encode from XS

2003-08-08 14:30:08
Dan Kogai <dankogai(_at_)dan(_dot_)co(_dot_)jp> writes:
On Saturday, Aug 9, 2003, at 00:08 Asia/Tokyo, Simon Cozens wrote:
This is sad and I ought to know the answer, but...

Can someone give me a few quick examples of creating Encode::XS objects
to do simple transcoding, from XS?

You should check the source of PerlIO::encoding
(ext/PerlIO/encoding/encoding.xs) to see how to do so via XS.  But I
don't think you'd call it simple.  Let me quote a few lines from there;

        PUSHMARK(sp);
        XPUSHs(e->enc);
        XPUSHs(e->dataSV);
        XPUSHs(e->chk);
        PUTBACK;
        if (call_method("decode", G_SCALAR) != 1) {
            Perl_die(aTHX_ "panic: decode did not return a value");
        }
        SPAGAIN;
        uni = POPs;

See?  It does exactly what you would call an ordinary perl
(sub|method)s from XS; you push arguments into the stack, call_method()
and pop the result.  In other words, there is no shortcut -- yet.

The 'yet' is signifcant. One of motivations for the "compiled" .ucm
form so that transcoder was all in C was to allow a short-cut.
However Tk804 is essentially using the above and works reasonably well.

Dan the Encode Maintainer