perl-unicode

Re: UCM file and combining character sequences

2003-09-22 01:30:04
[snip]
Anyway your chart lacks code points for "the legacy encoding".
Is any mapping table you intend available?
=================

To my knowledge the "Taiwanese Package" (TP) code points have been published
only in the following paper, in Taiwanese:
http://203.64.42.21/iug/Ungian/Chokphin/Lunbun/POJtiannau/POJtiannau-TIongsa
n.htm.  A nicely arranged mapping table to Unicode code points is as of yet
not available (including from the sole TP font provider,
http://www.phahng.idv.tw/ ).  I should whip up one soon as time permits.

The user base of TP is fairly small, perhaps in the thousands, though the
orthography's genealogy (variants and forks included) spans over a century
and a half.

(But I wonder why "the legacy encoding" is required,
 although UTF encodings for Unicode are available.)
==================

Software support for advanced font rendering (OpenType, Graphite, ATT) is
only currently emerging.  As far as Taiwanese is concerned, diacritic
positioning (so-called smart positioning) is the only advanced feature
needed, but even that is a bit elusive and our best results are barely
acceptable to end users.

Most critical but by no mean the only concern is the need to have the
Combining Dot Above rendered as a Right Dot Above in this script, unless the
powers that specify the UCS deem the latter to be a separate character from
the
former (some are pessimistic).

--Henry H. Tan-Tenn

SADAHIRO Tomoyuki