perl-unicode

Status of -C

2004-01-09 19:30:08
Greetings again. I am running a Mac OS 10.3.2 system whose output for "perl -v" is:

This is perl, v5.8.1-RC3 built for darwin-thread-multi-2level

The perlrun man page describes the -C option, which I need desperately. (We can talk about the wisdom of not having STDIN be UTF-8 at some other point...). However, the following program indicates that -C is not working on this system:

printf("\$^V is %vd\n", $^V);
print "\${^UNICODE} is ${^UNICODE}\n";

When run with a command line that includes '-C1' (or -C anything), it returns:

$^V is 5.8.1
${^UNICODE} is 0

Worse yet, of course, is the fact that another program that relies on -C1 working doesn't cause the STDIN to be in UTF-8.

Do I have to upgrade my system to the release version of 5.8.1, or is this indicative of some other problem? Can anyone else running OS X confirm this for me?

--Paul Hoffman