perl-unicode

Re: BOM and principle of least surprise

2004-05-10 10:30:06
Nick Ing-Simmons wrote:

Larry Wall <larry(_at_)wall(_dot_)org> writes:

Right now, the meaning of "text" is subject to severe distortions
due to legacy issues.  But in the long run, "text" is going to mean
Unicode, and that probably means a UTF-8 file encoding at least in
the western world,

Microsoft seem to be somewhat focused on some 16-bit form.

This thread started as complaint that perl5 can't read a
script saved as UCS-2/UTF-16 or whatever Windows uses.

Uh, really?  Perl 5.8+ should be able to do that, automatically.

I thought the issue was about Perl not automatically guessing the
UTF-16 encoding of input data.

--
Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi(_at_)iki(_dot_)fi> http://www.iki.fi/jhi/ "There is this
special