perl-unicode

utf8, japanese, web-pages: beginning to see the light...

2004-05-13 14:30:15
A few days ago, I queried this list about my problems with a script that finds the charset of Japanese web pages and translates their text into utf-8.

The following solution, proposed by Nick Ing-Simmons, worked for my case:

   binmode STDOOUT,":utf8";
   my $encoding = find_encoding($charset);
   my $unicode = $encoding->decode($text);
   print $unicode;

($charset is the charset as extracted from the html code of the page and $text is all the text from the page itself, as returned by the LWP agent.)

Thanks a lot to Nick and to all the others who responded to my plea for help.

Now for a much less pressing issue: Does anybody know of something similar to the HTML::FormatText module that can take utf-8 input, and generate utf-8 output? In other words, of a module or command line tool to which I could feed my Japanese html pages, or html documents in other non-Latin alphabets, and get nicely formatted plain utf-8 text as output? (HTML::FormatText seems to break with utf-8 and with the Japanese encodings.)

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Marco

---