perl-unicode

chr function on z/OS.

2005-05-24 07:38:44
Hi,

I have a basic doubt regarding unicode and z/OS
(ebcdic : ibm-1047).

$a = chr(0x00A1);

$b = chr(0xA1);

Should $a and $b be equal or yield different results
on ebcdic ?

$b is definitely the character "~". Is $a also the
same thing or is it the character equivalent to "\xAA"
?

$a on linux gives me the char "inverted exclamation
mark" which is the character at codepoint "A1" on
codepage-819.

Is the argument to the chr function for $a a unicode
scalar value ?
If yes, $a on ascii and ebcdic should be the same
("A1" on ascii and "AA" on ebcdic) ?

Thanks in advance,
Rajarshi.