perl-unicode

Re: Encode the subject line in MIME header using Perl 5.6

2005-12-28 03:00:39
John Delacour wrote:
At 12:42 am +0800 28/12/05, wing wrote:

I need to encode the subject line in a MIME header in UTF8 (something like
Subject: =?ISO-8859-1?B?SWYgeW91IGNhbiByZWFkIHRoaXMgeW8=?=). I know that
this can be done by using Encode in Perl 5.8. However, in my production
environment, we can only use Perl 5.6 at this moment.

Is there anywhere to do the encoding in Perl 5.6? I would appreciate if you
can provide an example to show how to do it.

What range of characters do you need to encode and what operating system are you using? The MIME encoding is no problem with MIME::Base64 but what is the encoding of the text you start with?

JD

Thanks for your prompt reply.

The subject line contains Chinese and Japanes characters in UTF8 and the platform is Sun Solaries 8.

I've tried Base64 using encode_base64 but in vain. Any clues?

Thanks and regards,
Wing