perl-unicode

RE: Win32 *W functions and old -C behavior

2006-10-31 16:31:46
Oleg writes:
Once upon a time using -C on Win32 made Perl use *W functions, but
after several versions it was removed, causing all kind of headache
to people who used it in their programs and hoped that they won't
have problems any longer with accessing filenames written in different
scripts. Right now I'm writing a module that have to do all kind
of unperlish stuff like direct access to memory, pointer arithmetics
and API calls to have such functionality back and I often wonder
just why it was removed without any alternative way to ask Perl
to use native calls (since all *A calls on any NT system is
just wrappers around *W).
[...]

This has already been discussed some time ago:

http://www.mhonarc.org/archive/html/perl-unicode/2004-02/msg00016.html

Please read the whole thread to see why the code was first disabled
and then removed, and why it is a big task to make Perl work properly
with Unicode filenames (not just on Windows, on all platforms).

Here is a message that shows how you can open a file whose
name can only be represented in Unicode:

http://www.mhonarc.org/archive/html/perl-unicode/2005-02/msg00010.html

Cheers,
-Jan